<VV> Stiff shifting - the answer

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 24 21:11:11 EDT 2010

I got back under my '62 and dropped the tunnel pans to check the shift linkage again. I found that the shift tube bushing at the front of the shift tube was dry of lubrication. I had missed this before because grease was visible on the edge of the bushing,  but on close inspection, I found it was dry inside. I had not lubed it since 2005, about 28000 miles ago. Anyway, I removed the bushing, cleaned it and lubed it with Lubriplate. Took a nice long drive today and I am convinced this was the problem, and it is now fixed.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Tom Hughes hit it on the head.

This was the problem description:

My 62 Daily driver Monza with 4-speed has begun to exhibit an intermittant shifting behavior. The symptom is stiff movement into gear (usually, but not always, 4th gear). It comes and goes. It does not grind (except into 1st or 2nd since that synchro has been shot since I got the car). It goes into gear fine. It just is very stiff, as if there is a lot of friction. I dropped the tunnel pans and observed for possible mechanical interference with the shift tube, but everything looked fine. Warm or cold weather, just starting, or been driving a while, makes no difference.
 -- Doug Mackintosh
Corsa member since 1996
Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member
Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on