<VV> Need Help with 1960 Corvair #375

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Mon Apr 26 06:36:16 EDT 2010

The restoration of Corvair #375, the Oldest Corvair on the
Planet has begun. I purchased the car from the same used
car lot that put it up on eBay several times a few years
ago. The car looks good from twenty feet away, but the
lower extremities have been been poorly repaired with far
too much bondo. To put it politely, the lower six inches
are no longer "Corvair-shaped". What I probably should do
is look for a donor body. A complete re-body is out of the
question since the very early production Corvairs had
different front sheet metal than later ones. The front
fenders, front doors and of course the front panel with
those horn slots below the bumper are all unique to July
1959 production. I may be able to cut off the lower
portions of good fenders and rocker panels and weld them
in. The front panel will be a challenge since I NEED to
retain those horn slots.

Does anybody know of a 1960 body shell that might be
available? Also, if anyone out there in VV Land is going
to the Virginia Vair Fair this coming weekend I really
could use a correct 1960-only battery tray. #375 has a
homemade flat tray installed so a previous owner could use
a larger battery. I would like to correct that mistake
right away and install a correct battery in the car.
Anybody have one?

A little history of the car: It lived for many years in
Beardstown, Illinois. The owner was a Mr. Wedeking who
stored the car on his property and brought it out for a
festival parade in town every year. Many people knew of
the car and of Mr. Wedeking. When he passed away in 2008
there were at least two subsequent owners; one in
Beardstown and one in Payson, IL about 40 miles away. The
car was offered at auction and that is where Terry Schultz
of Demotte, Indiana purchased it. He brought it back to
his car lot and was unsuccessful selling it on-line. Then
last winter he was unsuccessful at surviving a heart
attack and passed away at age 48. What a shame because he
seemed like a nice guy who cared for his customers and
wasn't just out for the fast buck so often associated with
the used car trade. When I picked up the car last week I
met with his brother, Bob and he told me there was an
outpouring of respect for him at the funeral by the many
people that his life had touched. I'm glad he saved #375
and I thank his dad, Robert and his brother Bob for
helping me begin the process to restore the Oldest Corvair
on the Planet! - Caveman Pete