<VV> Corvair values

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 26 18:27:31 EDT 2010

                                          B"H

I'd like to suggest the following:

1.  Check Corvairs for sale on e-bay to see what owners and dealers are asking.  Don't use that as an abasolute guide, but it can provide a ball park number.

Remember the Corsas command a premium over Monzas and 500s (for the most part).  Turbos are worth more than 140s, and 4-speeds fetch more money and 3-speeds.  NO automatics were ever available on Corsas, so if it's a Powerglide car, be suspicious.

2.  A clean original well-maintained car is worth what you're willing to pay, and what the seller will take to part with it.  This sounds confusing, but it simply means that if you find a nicely-maintained, rust-free '66 Corsa coupe with 45,000 miles that feels tight and runs smoothly, and the owner shows you the pile of maintenance receipts for the car since 1977, you may be willing to pay $9,500 for it, even though "the book value" is only say, $8500.  Think about what you want to do (or need to do) to get the car in the condition you want it to be.

It is often worth a premium if you don't have to do anything to get the car to where you want it to be, a "turnkey" car if you will.  I could say I "overpaid" for my own car, and I know if probably did, but I'll thank the guy I bought it from over and over, because it's a wonderful, reliable car and I'd pay it again.

3.  NADA Classic Car Guide values for a '65 non-turbo Corsa coupe run between $3,000 and $13,000, depending on condition.

Regards...Bill Hershkowitz 69 Monza Coupe 110 PG