<VV> Laura Bush on Corvairs

Bruce Schug bwschug at att.net
Wed Apr 28 09:57:52 EDT 2010

On Apr 28, 2010, at 8:44 AM, Steven J. Serenska wrote:

> VVers:
>
> There is an article in today's New York Times concerning Laura Bush's
> forthcoming book.  I'm sure that everyone on this list knows she was
> involved in a fatal car accident in which the other driver was at the
> wheel of a Corvair.
>
> While it's clear from her words that the cause of the accident was her
> blabbing with her friend, being distracted, and running a stop sign,
> Laura Bush seems to make an attempt to lay off some of the blame on
> the
> Corvair:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/28/books/28laura.html?no_interstitial
>
> All politics aside, casting aspersions like this is both annoying and
> unfortunate.  I wish she had just said "the accident was my fault
> and I
> am devastated by it."

Yes, Steven, I agree with you.  I saw the article too.

Then, there's the "conspiracy theories" about the accident.  Have you
heard those?

Some feel she hit the Corvair on purpose.  Something about the guy who
was driving, who she killed, was an ex-boyfriend who she was still
angry at.  I think there's little chance it's true.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina
CORSA member since 1980