<VV> Dampers vs Dampeners?

vpersh at netzero.com vpersh at netzero.com
Wed Apr 28 15:49:14 EDT 2010

I had a professor in my mechanical engineering program in college (Bob Benzinger) who would call you out, count you down and chew you up if you used the word "damper" when referring to absorbing vibration. A lessi=on that has stuck with me for more than 40 years!!

---------- Original Message ----------
From: wblanning at comcast.net
To: Virtual Vairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
Subject: Re: <VV> Dampers vs Dampeners?
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 23:38:29 +0000 (UTC)

There's a lot of companies advertising dampeners on the internet to reduce vibration, so either they are also all wrong or the word dampeners and dampers can be used interchangeably.  How about let's correct IBM's TV ad where they say "data is collected"?  Shouldn't they say "data are collected"?


Message: 5
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 06:22:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: "P.H. Raker" <n556p at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: <VV> Convertible Dampeners
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Message-ID: <741879.15050.qm at web110708.mail.gq1.yahoo.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

Do they make it wet?!?
If they are only there to absorb vibration (or damp it), then they are not dampeners but DAMPERS.
Sorry, that's one of my pet peeve terminology issues.
End of rant.? Back to early/late discussions.
Phil Raker
'65 Corsa Cpe - 140/4
'63 Greenbrier - 110/4
This message was sent by the VirtualVairs mailing list, all copyrights are the property
of the writer, please attribute properly. For help, mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
This list sponsored by the Corvair Society of America, http://www.corvair.org/
Post messages to: VirtualVairs at corvair.org
Change your options: http://www.vv.corvair.org/mailman/options/virtualvairs 
$67/Hr Part Time (NEWS ALERT)
Are Online Jobs The Next Big Thing? Make Money From Home - Tips Revealed.

More information about the VirtualVairs mailing list