<VV> Laura Bush on Corvairs

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 28 15:39:37 EDT 2010

How very true. Which is why the side impact standard is written so that as long as it prevents penetration up to the point the tires break free, it's ok. The incidents of the car side hitting an immovable object (or similar situation), where the force exceeds the design standard is small, and thus not considered. BUT they DO happen (as witnessed right in front of my neighbor's house).

As far as accidents go, you have to consider that you're dealing with statistical odds, not a given situation. It's why there will always be the "exception to the rule" incidents that some people cite in defense of such things as not wearing the seat belt, not wearing a motorcycle helmet, etc.  They DO happen, but the odds are a long shot. Me, I'll put my life on the side of the greatest chances and wear my seat belt, etc.

-Mark

Subject: Re: Laura Bush on Corvairs

However, Mark, one doesn't get to choose their accidents, hence the name! So, you design for the most likely type of accident based on fatalities and injuries. Side impacts are nowhere near the most common cause of injury and death. Frontal impacts with stationary objects are.

John Roberts