<VV> My Escort Across Alligator Alley

Western Canada CORSA westerncanadacorsa at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 29 00:34:16 EDT 2010

You were HIS escort!

Regards,
Joel

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Mikeamauro at aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:31 PM
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: <VV> My Escort Across Alligator Alley

I recently returned from my semiannual R&R visit to the Florida Keys. I
always drive down in one of my Corvairs, and this time I took my white, 67
coupe. A good portion of the drive involves traversing Alligator Alley;
Alligator Alley is 80 miles long, and connects east and west southern
Florida.
In the old days, the Alley was a treacherous, two lane road, with no service

stations along its entire stretch. The alley is now part of the interstate
system, but, even now, only one gas station has been added (and it's not
really  a "service" station). Anyway, especially in an older vehicle, and
alone at  that, traversing the Alley can give one a "Charles Lindbergh
feeling,"
 as he must have felt crossing the Atlantic in equipment not yet refined
for the  task. Don't misunderstand, the 67 is very reliable, but left to
itself, with no safety net around, the mind can conjure  up any number of
odd
noises, vibrations, and resultant calamities. Anyway,  on Sunday, April the
18th, at approximately 9:30 A.M., I entered the east end of  the Alley, as
did
a late model T-Bird. This T-Bird shadowed me the entire  length of the
Alley... if I went 60, he went 60; I'd speed up to 80, he'd go to  80, but
always staying a respectable and courteous distance behind. Leaving the
Alley I
exited at Naples for fuel; he (the T-Bird), flashed his lights, tutted  his
horn, and went on. Mr. T-Bird, if you are out there, thank you  for the
escort!

Mike Mauro
67 Factory Air PG Coupe
64 Greenbrier Deluxe