<VV> Tele Steering Column question

Leland L Garland lgarland1 at cox.net
Fri Dec 3 23:37:47 EST 2010

I've owned a late '65 tele steering column and steering box for more
than 10 years and am finally ready to install it.  I couldn't figure out
how the lock mechanism works but think I have it figured out now after
looking at a Corvette web site that sells steering parts.  According to
their diagram the locking mechanism inside the steering column consists
of a locking rod and a wedge.  I have either misplaced the locking rod
after having moved 5 times since I acquired the unit, or it may have
been missing when I bought it.

I think I could fabricate the rod from an old clutch cable rod but need
to know exact dimensions and any required shape at the ends -- tapered,
squared off, etc.  I'm also wondering about the wedge.  Is it something
that could not be removed without removing the pin that holds the two
pieces of the shaft together?  Is it likely the wedge is still in
there?  Or, am I completely wrong about how this thing locks?

I would be very appreciative to receive any insight into this matter.
Thanks in advance.

Leland L Garland