<VV> Vega and Corvair

David O'Neal dnoneal at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 9 14:57:04 EST 2010

My 73 Vega GT was a piece of junk - but it looked good. I bought it new and
took good care of it but it rusted around the windows (unexpected because I
live in S.Car. and it lived under a carport), scrapped the oil pan, fuel
econ < 20, the engine was rebuilt and sleeved at 75k by the next owner who
was a friend and still wanted the car because it was in good condition, not
a lot of leg room due to the huge tunnel (though I did like the hatchback),
etc.  I didn't know about Vairs then - I could have bought a whole yard full
of them - at that time you could get one for $50.  And I now know the Vair
handles 4X better than the Vega.

We just needed to know how to work on the Corvairs but there was no network
for the information back then.  Meanwhile the Vega, well it didn't matter
what you knew or did to it - it was determined to fall apart, rust and burn
(not leak) oil.  Of course Chevy replaced the Vega with the Shove-ette and
the Monza, a re-bodied Vega platform with a V6 (& V8 later) and even less
legroom....I now consider this a classic "downward spiral" by Chevy.

David O'Neal