<VV> Did the Corvair design its own demise ?

chaz at ProperProPer.com chaz at ProperProPer.com
Thu Dec 9 21:41:44 EST 2010

The Corvair is one car that falls under the "Law of Unintended Consequences"
because it was SUPPOSED to be an econo-box, but became so much more that was
never anticipated.

Someone said that the Mustang killed the Corvair, but isn't it true that the
Corvair made the Mustang possible, by showing Detroit that small cars could
be profitable, when Chevy added  features that customers wanted ?

The 4-speed, carpets, bucket seats, nice trim, then a convertible (which
killed the Lakewood when Chevy changed their target market ?), Chevy
couldn't take the Corvair, with big engines (although the Nova has a 283 in
1963 or before ?)

So, without Corvair, would there have a been a Mustang ?

A bit of a paradox, actually, since the Corvair designed its own demise ?

Charlie