<VV> Shifter assembled and installed-got a problem

Cash Case cash.case at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 11 20:25:40 EST 2010

Hi guys-
I got the shifter installed in my '65. The stick goes through the gears and I can feel them engage but, the wheels spin freely.  I got under the car to check things and I was reminded of something I'd forgotten about.  The clutch adjustment rod that comes out of the bell housing was very difficult to hook up.  I put the engine back in after rebuilding the trans. Bill Wells helped on the rebuild (Thanks Bill).  I suspect that the problem is that the clutch is engaged because of how hard it was to get the adjustment rod to bolt up.  The rod was cut in half some time in the past and welded, but not a butt weld.  It was overlapped by about an inch and a half and I think that's the problem.  I've backed the adjusting nut all the way to the end of the rod.

My question is this.  Is it possible to replace that rod without taking the diff off?  Or, do I have to take the whole thing out again?

-Thanks in advance-
-Cash