<VV> The Fitch Phoenix and the C3 Corvette design

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Sat Dec 11 22:08:49 EST 2010

The Fitch Phoenix was completed before the 1968 Corvette
was released to the public. The unveiling was in 1966 I
believe and it occurred at the Ambercombie and Fitch (no
relation) store in New York City. John did tell me a story
about showing the car to GM's design gurus in Michigan. In
his words, the car was whisked away into a corner of the
Design Staff building and John didn't see the car again
for more than a half an hour. What were they doing? Taking
measurements? They never told John what their intent was.
And two years later the 1968 third generation Corvette
comes out! We know that the design of the 'Vette was
started many years prior to 1968 and the final approval
was given about the time the Phoenix was completed in
Italy. So, did one vehicle influence the other? Doubtful.
But it makes for a great story, doesn't it? - Pete k