<VV> 68 Vette, C.Jordan, Astro I and Opel GT's.

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 12 14:57:48 EST 2010

James, I always enjoy your historical view, but I don't think the numbers
support your recollection about Chevy II and Corvair production. From the
numbers I was able to pull off the internet (and Corvair figures from The
Corvair Decade) it looks like in 1963 and every year from 1966-1969 (excluding
Econolines), and that the combined Chevy II + Corvair totals beat the Falcon in
every year that the Chevy II was being produced (I only looked through 1969) .

I have attached the numbers in a spreadsheet. The Econoline numbers are not
complete. The big drop in Falcon production in 1967 is attributed to a major
strike against Ford that year.

Do you have different numbers, or just one of those tricky memories?

James Rice wrote:

<<What actually killed the Corvair was the buying choices of the American
people.  They bought Falcons about 3 to 1 over the Corvair and Plymouth
Valiant.  Ed Cole say the sales numbers and in mid-1960 started the Chevy II
program, which was introduced in the fall of 1961 as a '62 model.  It was
the shortest model intro in GM's history up to that time.  If I remember
correctly, the combined sales of the Corvair and the Chevy II did not ever
equal the Falcon sales.>>

-- Doug Mackintosh
Corsa member since 1996
Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member
Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on