<VV> Sheet metal forming

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Sat Dec 18 10:25:13 EST 2010

Classic open-wheel oval-track races cars from the 40s and 50s had
beautifully formed aluminum body panels.  Today, there are but a small
handful of people who do this.  But one of them is not far from me.

Those of you putting late model Corvairs on the race track have more
than one option for a lightweight deck lid, including Bruce Carlton's
featherweight carbon fiber lid.  But I, with an early model track car,
am stuck with the two-ton stock deck lid.

I tried one of the plexiglass see-through showroom deck lids from 1960,
but they're heavy too!

I have seen a number of early model deck lids where the owner has cut
out the inner panel, but that's way too crude for me.

So I took my problem to the local guy who is hammering aluminum for the
oval-trackers.  He was intrigued, and of course not the least bit
intimidated by the compound curves along the trailing edge of an early
model deck lid.  At our next racing event, in January, I am delivering
to him a stock deck lid for him to use as a pattern.  I'll let you know
how it works out.

--Bob Marlow