<VV> cunifer tubing

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Fri Dec 24 08:53:19 EST 2010

----- Original Message -----

From: Frank DuVal < corvairduval at cox.net >
Subject: Re: <VV> Double Flair SS Fuel Lines- Cunifer tubing?

I have started using the Cunifer tubing for brake line replacements. .................
I will let you know in 15 years of winter (salt) driving if they last lnoger than OEM steel....

I've had a few very used Volvos that have spent over a decade in salty Massachusetts winter. My current wagon is a 91, and I've replaced a few calipers over the last few years. The lines hold up great. Just get a dark brown patina. The steel fittings and cast iron calipers rust and seize together just like always. I've had a few fittings develop deep swollen rust bark on the ID that grips the cunifer tubing so hard that unscrewing the fitting twists off the tubing, just like steel.

For the last few years when I assemble brakes, regardless of material (cunifer or plated or plasti-coated lines) I carefully apply antiseize to the fitting id and the back side of the flare (everywhere it touches the brake line), and the threads. I do something similar on bleeder screws, too.

Dan T