<VV> Spyder/Corsa turbo -- fast & furious

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Mon Dec 27 20:09:20 EST 2010

Rodney,

I am sending this off list because I don't want to be put on moderation by
big brother.

I have an old SUV as a tow vehicle for my toys.  It is WAY past its prime
but is still reliable.  (So far.)  It is not likely that I will buy a new SUV
but will probably continue to add to my Corvair collection.  They are much
better value and will probably appreciate in value rather than depreciate.
The last 5 of my 8 toys have all been Corvairs.  One reason that I am not
likely to buy a new "Big 3" vehicle is the reason you state.  The Big 3 have
been making "cheaper" cars than the transplants just to meet the price level
set by the foreign owned manufacturers.  Granted, the Big 3 quality has
improved but the styling and innovation have lagged behind the transplants
because the profits were not there to invest.

The Big 3 were not quite $30 - $40 more/hour than the transplants.
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the hourly compensation
package for Big 3 labor was around $75/hour as compared to a little more than
$50/hour for the transplants.  This is a $25/hour differential.  The numbers
include hourly pay, health benefits, etc.  Of course, also per the BLS, Big 3
labor is 23% less productive than the transplants.  That would bring the
differential to the $30 you state.  The average factory worker in the USA gets
around $25/hour.  These are all American workers working in American plants.
 What does a UAW factory worker do to deserve $50 more per hour than the
average factory worker?  Neither quality nor productivity are the reasons.
Assuming a 40 hour week, the average annual compensation for a UAW member is
$156,000.  With overtime, it is more.  Of course, more senior members get
more than the average while those with fewer years get less.  However, since
only the wage portion of this varies by seniority, I suspect that even the
least senior members get well into 6 figures annually.  The main reason the
transplants pay double the US average is to keep the UAW out.  There is no
wonder why.

Of course, some of this has changed since the Obama administration took a
big piece of ownership away from the rightful owners (stockholders) of GM and
Chrysler and gave it to the UAW and forced a fire sale to Fiat.  Some of
the non-wage hourly compensation will be transferred to the union along with
the stock ownership.  I have not seen what the hourly rates are or will be
after these changes.

Ford has been doing quite well without the changes that were forced on GM
and Chrysler but I believe a big part of that is due to people going with a
winner.  It is the only alternative to government/UAW owned or foreign owned
manufacturers.  In addition, Toyota's quality and safety problems have sent
many buyers to other manufacturers.  Much of the quality glitter that all
foreign manufacturers have enjoyed for decades is somewhat tarnished these
days.  The Big 3 have benefited by this.

Have a great new year.

Doc
1960 Corvette; 1961 Rampside; 1962 Rampside; 1964 Spyder coupe; 1965
Greenbrier; 1966 Corsa turbo coupe; 1967 Nova SS; 1968 Camaro ragtop
In a message dated 12/26/2010 2:08:59 PM Pacific Standard Time,