<VV> Best 2-Carb Setup

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Dec 31 18:30:18 EST 2010

In a message JW writes:

I'm not  interested in fuel injection at this time. My goal is better
low-end  performance while still retaining some high-end performance. I use the
car for  city driving and would like to set it up for  autocrossing.

If this is going into a 912, and you have some interest in  Autocrossing,
there are a number of things you could do to a pair of H or  HV series
Rochesters to make them work better - for that task. You can move the  jets
around, and add vent tubes. Boring the venturis out a little will help  the top
end. If you do cap off the secondary holes - (Or machine off and  weld up the
secondary holes to make the 140 engine appear as a stock 110 or 95  motor to
tech inspectors - but who would do that?) you will need a bit more  Venturi
area to retain much top end performance. If you keep the stock-flow
Rochesters, the very bottom end, 1500-2500 RPM, will probably have a  little more
torque. But the cam in that motor is better tuned for areas  above 2500RPM
and the secondary carbs are there to let you explore it. Adding  the vent
tubes and the relocation of the jets will allow you to raise your float  levels
without fuel tip-over into the carb throat under cornering. The raised
floats will prevent starvation. If the motor is apart, a little  head porting
work under the carb mount won't hurt.

So - did you get enough suggestions?

-Seth Emerson