<VV> Automatic floor shift conversion kit

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Tue Feb 2 08:52:33 EST 2010

Not safe making global statements like that... I've had several manual
transmissions that were "in line"... most often due to the origin of the
gearbox having been motorcycle in nature.

My current Berkeley (Excelsior engine) has a 4 speed manual:

1
2
3
4

With a Neutral in between each gear. Operates though an externally gated
shifter (where the numbered gates generally have a rather loose relationship
to the actual gear selected)

Others have been more like a traditional motorcycle with sequential shift
and a specific neutral.

My former AC (Villiers engine) had no reverse in the gearbox... but rather a
lever you pulled which killed the two stroke engine and restarted it
backwards, giving you 4 reverse gears in that mode.

The most non-intuitive transmission was in my Tatra. It was a 4 on the
column (+ reverse) but was reversed from every other column shift
transmission I've driven. And no gear pattern labeling anywhere... prompting
the shipyard guys to destroy the transmission when unloading it from the
ship when it was imported RORO...

Bill