<VV> Ignition tester

Daniel Monasterio dmonasterio at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 11 15:28:33 EST 2010

   Hi Matt,

   After that first coil testing (just to know how the tester works) on the GB engine I did the same test on wife's 2002 Ford KA, 67 Corvair Cpe. and 62 Rampside, obtaining 15 KV on KA and 67 Vair and, 14 KV on the Rampside. My conclusion: the coil on the GB, with only 8 KV available, was the cause of too much unburned HC on the exhaust pipes. Changed the GB coil for a good one (checked at 15 KV), tested the exhaust emissions with the "sniffer" and... eureka !!, the unburned HC went down from 690 ppm to 185 ppm. Previously I had been playing with several carbs, jets, etc., unsuccesfully....as it was not a carb problem.
   Drove the GB (first time on almost 3 years) to the official emissions test station... piece of cake.

   Next steps: interior detailing, wiring power windows (6), installing new instruments, etc.

Daniel