<VV> Final update on the car "clunks" when shifted into gear

Edelstein and Payne eandp at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 15 08:19:16 EST 2010

Folks,

     The parts came Friday and yesterday Doran and I completed installing the re-built half shaft on the passenger side of his car.  I have some observations on that job that may be of use to others.

     While we had “trashed" only one bolt through the “clunking” of the shaft, I ordered 8 new ones and replaced all of them.  As I was “cinching” them down, it would reach a point where I could no longer get a socket or a box end wrench on the heads of the bolts.  I compared the new ones to the old bolts, and the ones that Chevrolet used had taller (thicker) heads on them, so they were easier to get a wrench on.  Had to finish torquing the new bolts with an open end wrench, turning the blots about an eighth turn at a time.  So it may be better and easier to use the original bolts if they are in good shape.

     The car is a 65 with the smaller bolts in the U-joints.  One retaining strap had also been “trashed”, so we needed to replace that, but all that Clark’s had were the 66-69 straps with the larger holes.  I ordered 2 of those.  We then filled the holes with JB Weld and let it set up and cure for about 40 hours.  It was then filed flat and we carefully drilled one-quarter inch holes in the epoxy, using an old strap as a template.  On the first one, we did not get it correctly aligned in the vise on the drill press and one of the hoes were drilled off center.  But with the second strap we were extra careful and the holes turned out all right and the part bolted up fine.  It will be interesting to see if the JB Weld holds up.  I wonder if anyone else has developed another way to make the large hole straps work in a 65?

     One final observation.  Even though the U-Joint was broken and about ready to fall apart. When I turned the shaft by hand, it did not appear loose, and it appeared to be properly aligned the first time I tried to take it off the car.  So if you have noise when your car shifts into gear, the only way to be sure that it is not the half shafts appears to be to take them down.

                  Travis Payne     65 Monza coupe
                  Raleigh, NC      65 500 coupe

P.S. And by the way, there is no “clunk” when the car is shifted into gear now!!