<VV> Cubic Inches Displacement

keith osborne vanman453ta at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 15 15:58:11 EST 2010

I think that we are forgetting one important fact- Corvair engines' displacements are measured in cubic inches- not liters, or cubic centimeters.

In America- the birthplace of our beloved Corvairs- we use inches and feet, ounces and gallons, etc, etc.  It may be an illogical system, but it's a historical system.

To me, one of the many marks of the downfall of the interesting American automobile was the decision to stop using cubic inches as the measure of engine displacement.  To me, this represents an arrogant slap in the face to history and heritage.  At least we still talk of horsepower, instead of kilowatts, when referring to an engine's mechanical power output.  And foot pounds of torque too.  Not Newton meters.  Sheesh- Newtons are something you eat- fig Newtons, that is!  And the speedometers here still register miles per hour- even the foreign manufacturers make them that way, just for us!  Gotta love it...  So not all is lost.

So I think we should think of some songs that relate to 140, 145, 164, and perhaps the various derivatives of those, that result from engine overhaul...  Albeit, many of these numbers may not be very musically inclined LOL!

Just a thought, that can't be worth more than $0.02.  Plus inflation.  So maybe like twenty bucks, now a days...

Regards,
Keith