<VV> Towing with a Car Dolly or Flat tow

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Tue Feb 16 11:44:43 EST 2010

James
Opinions will vary.
On Manual trans cars, there is a hole in the transaxle that shares the gear
oil with the transmission.  Even when flat towing a Manual trans car, it was
recommended to me that you start the engine and run the gears through the
pattern when refueling, etc.  I don't know if it does anything or not, but
it may very well help to move fluid between trans and transaxle. Towing a
Auto Trans car fowards with rear wheels on the ground I've never done, but I
could forsee pump damage.  Could be wrong on that but I wouldn't chance it.

I've seen people tow vairs backwards and forwards on a tow dolly.  I don't
recommend it.  I towed a Corvan forwards on a dolly about 70 miles from NC
to Va Beach. Wouldn't do it again.

What I do recommend is putting the car on a trailer and towing it that way,
although  I have towed a LM man trans car on a tow bar from Gulf Shores, AL
to Buffalo, NY without incident.

 If you can afford the rent on an Auto Transport trailer from U-Haul, or
have a friend or a clubbie who has a trailer and truck for towing, it's the
best route. takes out all the guess work, possible swaying on the dolly, and
problems from law enforcement you could get into for towing backwards on the
dolly, the swaying and having the wheel tied off.

BTW, When I moved from NY to Va Beach, I used a U-Haul Tow bar to flat tow
my LM man trans car behind a U-Haul Truck----I had to get a toll ticket on
the NYS thruway for both vehicles, their logic was the tow car had all four
wheels on the ground.  Had it been on a trailer I would only had to pay for
the truck.

Hope this Helps

Hank Kaczmarek
Co-Founder, Corvair Basics Manual