<VV> Fuel mileage and the cold

Bruce Schug bwschug at att.net
Fri Feb 19 11:01:55 EST 2010

On Feb 19, 2010, at 10:55 AM, Mike Jacobi wrote:

> Hey Cap'n
>
> I think cold weather helps gas mileage...but I could be wrong, it's
> been a
> long time since physics class.
>
> Could be you're feeding in more gas because of spring fever.  Trying
> catch up with some warmer weather?

I don't think so.  Running on the chokes kills mileage (chokes richens
the mixture like crazy).  This is true of any car, new computer
controlled or old Corvair with thermostatically controlled chokes.

Further, once warmed up, the cold air results in a denser charge,
great for power, not so great for mileage.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina
CORSA member since 1980