<VV> Steering Coupler Tape

chris mann cfmann at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 19 20:00:05 EST 2010

Several responses have indicated that the black tape I am referring to is a "jerry" rigged thing-a-bob from other PO's.
On my convertible (#0242), this black tape exists around the Steering Coupler (C2026) and I also found the same kind of tape on
a 69 parts car (#1112 (had 19,000 miles on it)) that I dismantled last fall. Even when I bought the 69 replacement column (from Claypool, and prior to parts car purchase) the tape was on there too.
I am no expert here, and I really respect you guys, but I am pretty sure that this tape
came with the cars when made. It's like a clothey/masking tape material, black, and very very brittle (now at least).
I think it was wrapped around the open end of the steering coupler to keep
dust, dirt and debris out of the cavity which contains greased parts, including the retainer clip, the spring, the shaft pin and the bearing blocks.
Maybe it was specific to 67-69???
I have attached photos in reference, but am unsure if attachments work on the VV list or not.
With respect to the PO keeping the telescopic, I can blame him to a point (misrepresenting the car).
But I am also to blame for buying a car without personally inspecting it (lesson: don't buy a car with digital pictures only halfway across the country and expect it to be what you see on the computer screen). No regrets though, at least I know now that my Corvair was telescopic equipped.
Some day I will come across a Frost Green Column and return it to it rightful place.
The only one I have ever seen or come upon, and down to the color, was on craigslist about two years ago and the guy knew what he had and wanted $1600 for it and he got it. When I inquired on it, I went into that conversation thinking it was a typo for $160.
That is when I learned something new and found out what my car really had in the first place.
But as Mark indicated, I also found out that those "Corvette" vultures (yeah, dad, I am talking to you) are quick to snatch!
So telescopic or not, I am back to my $1.00 piece of black duct tape dilemma, or running upon a 69 telescopic in frost green with an ignorant owner :-).
Oh, the joys of Corvair ownership.
-chris