<VV> sway bar installation

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Sun Feb 21 19:10:48 EST 2010

On Feb 20, 2010, at 10:29 PM, judynrandy at comcast.net wrote:

> So, what you are saying is that to install a sway bar on a '63 that isn't drilled, just drill the dimples?  And if it is drilled, just bolt it together?

Taking these in reverse order, yes, if the holes are there it's just a bolt together.  If you have a rusty front crossmember on an early, you can source all the parts to make it a bolt together operation.

If there are dimples, but no holes, as with our '62, I'm not sure.  The holes would have to be drilled fairly accurately so the sway bar mounts fit properly.  I'm thinking if a jig is possible to guide the drill, that should work, but I've not tried it.  Generally people swap the crossmember, but the one on the car looks to be in very good shape, so I may give it a try.  At that point I'll need to install the bar and brackets, plus swap out the lower control arms.

--Bryan

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
  Corvairs: '62 700 Wagon, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa