<VV> Jay's 140 is stock

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Fri Feb 26 14:39:29 EST 2010

I might have a clue to its origin.

I had a 140 with the stock air cleaner assembly and one of the four inlet
tubes
had a well-worn flange, the little 1/8" deep one, that fits into the opening
of the carb throat to secure it.

It was so well-worn that it had formed an almost separate section for about
one inch of the
circumference. I didn't realze what I was looking at, in terms of an
ingestion threat, so I did nothing.

About two months later, at a stoplight no less, the engine suddenly started
making a piston-knock noise,
so I shut it down and we flat-towed it home. I opened up the engine and
found that the little piece
of sheet metal had finally broken loose and had wound up between the piston
and head.
It had really bounced around  a fair amount in that few seconds, making
little square indents wherever
it touched, as it was being folded up and squashed at random. The heads had
been milled, so there
wasn't any more than .035 clearance anyway.

If Pete's piece is folded-up sheet metal, he should check the inlet flanges
on his air cleaner assembly, to
see if they're all still there.

Mel