<VV> More on Tele -- an answer?

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Feb 27 00:18:31 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/26/2010 6:30:30 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Vairtec at optonline.net writes:

For the  1965 telescoping wheel option -- is the steering wheel itself
any  different from the regular setup?  Or are the differences only in
the  column?

I have been asked by a Corvette guy who -- get this -- wants to  make
the Corvair-specific parts available to Corvair  guys.

Bob - I guess I don't understand your question. Are you asking if any  of
the parts on a telescoping column/wheel are different than the standard
Corvair wheel/column? If that is the question, pretty much everything is
different from the standard Corvair wheel/column. I can't think of any part that
interchanges. Maybe the electrical plug plastic housings and/or the turn
signal  stalk. The Corvair wood wheel itself is common to a couple of other
applications. (And used on the 65-66 Corvair sport wheel option)   The
Chevelle and, perhaps another Chevy or other GM car. The painted wheels  (66 only,
I believe) are unique to the Vair, I believe. (And a few other
painted-tele-wheel only pieces) As far as what is common between the Corvair and  the
Corvette?  Pretty much everything except the wheel. At least  everything from
the dashboard out. I don't know about the engine compartment end  of the
column on the Corvette. If someone is installing a telescoping column  into the
Corvair -or Corvette, I guess - there are a number of aftermarket  steering
wheels now available that now bolt-in - instead of the factory wheel.  If I
had a daily driver car that I wanted to show every once in a while, I would
 remove the pristine original or restored factory "woodish" wheel and
install a nice thick-rimmed leather wheel for regular driving - then swap it
back in for the shows. Swapping out the wheel is only about a 10 minute  job.

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette