<VV> professional repair

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Feb 27 01:41:24 EST 2010

We discuss removing engines and drivetrains on this forum. If the
average VVer can change an engine, then removing and replacing a
steering column is a piece of cake. Lots less parts. One has to know
their limits, or when to ask for help. Wait, that's what we are here for.

R&I a steering column does not require removing the steering wheel or
turn signal switch. Except on 1964 and early 1965  models with the long
shaft steering box, where the steering wheel does need to be removed.

Everything one works on has risks. Do we need a lawyer on this forum to
prevent information exchange that may lead a person to try something
new? Will the only new replies on VV be to take the vehicle hundreds of
miles to the nearest Corvair professional because death is a
possibility? Most repairs involve jacking the car up. The risk starts
there, so safety has to be ever present. Everyone seems to work on
brakes. Lots to go wrong with this job. And a lot at stake. What more
important system on the car is there? I put a proper brake overhaul as
more difficult than a column change, with more to go wrong and result in
an unsafe car. But everybody does it.

I am not against working safe, the life I save can be my own!

Examples of unsafe repairs are good to discuss. It helps others to
learn. But if you think just because a professional works on your car
you are safe, you are drinking too much kool aid.

Keep your eyes open. Let's all be safe out there.

Frank DuVal