<VV> Substandard bolts

DAN RORAFF djrcorvair at msn.com
Sat Feb 27 19:31:28 EST 2010

Many years ago I was under my Corvair and noticed it was missing the bracket that holds the sway bar.  So I looked at the other side, put a wrench on it to get the size of the bolt.  1/4" (bolt size not wrench).  Went to a salvage yard (back in the good old days when you found Corvairs in them) to get one. I put the wrench on the bolt, it didn't fit, too small!  Mine had a grade 3- 1/4 bolt.  The correct size was 3/8 grade 8!  Now I know why I was missing a bracket.  It was scary.  I inspected everything else.  I never reuse any bolts if they are from a critical area or if they have any rust.  That would be all of them up here in Minnesota.

Dan

65 Monza convertible in hibernation