<VV> distributor change?

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Feb 27 20:16:01 EST 2010

In a message dated 2/27/2010 5:05:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
gyoungwolf at earthlink.net writes:

Is there any advantage to changing to an earlier pre-smog distributor when
de-smogging a 1969 engine? (It's not my engine, and it has already been
done, so I am just trying to advise a customer who is putting some 1965 carbs on
it).
Thanks,
Grant

Grant - The 1965 110 distributor is the best one for almost all
"non-competition" applications. (depending on the motor, is it a 110?)  Look for an
"1110319". The smog distributors relied on some strange (not supposed to use
the word "retarded") initial ignition settings (4-6 degrees) and a very fast
initial mechanical advance, and a lot of total mechanical advance. Unless the
builder can rely on a repeatable, trouble-free 600 RPM idle, the 1965 110
distributor, where advance starts a bit higher, is the best bet. Oh - and be
sure to tell him to use the initial advance settings that match the
distributor - Check the 1965 110 HP specs. And for all the "numbers must match"
folks, you could always swap in the later housing with the original number on
it.

- Seth