<VV> Origin of "Bone-Stock"?

rbuckridge at comcast.net rbuckridge at comcast.net
Sat Feb 27 23:29:36 EST 2010

JR,

Maybe this is a regional or a time period thing.

When I was a kid, a loooooong time ago, a "stock" or "bone-stock" car means that the car is "as delivered". No after market parts.

A "stripper" or "plain Jane" car was the base model, without any added options. But in the case of the Corvair, you could have a "stripper / plain Jane" 500 or Monza or Corsa. A "bone-stock" Corsa could have been a turbo and 4 speed, but a "stripper / plain Jane" Corsa would have been a 140 with 3 speed.

Now you can also add to this, "What if the dealer installs an after market part?" Is the car still stock? Yes & no. Yes, if you consider it "as delivered" from the dealer, but no, if you try and go racing, unless of course, as in the case with Yenko Stingers, you make enough of them available to fit into the rules.

Roy - Bayshore