<VV> pulling steering wheel/professional repair

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Feb 28 13:59:44 EST 2010

At 11:49 PM 2/27/2010, HallGrenn at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 2/27/2010 6:33:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
>corvairduval at cox.net writes:
>
>I would  love to hear how you do it, as I tried many ways before I had
>the puller,  and still half heartedly try before I walk over to get the
>puller....
>
>Not even 1 in 10 pull off with blows from a rubber  mallet, pulling and
>jerking, etc.
>
>Frank  DuVal

I have a history of better results' percentages.

Of course I'm dim-witted and thick headed and not only beefy enough
but silly enough to (after remembering to remove the nut) grab the
wheel, plant feet on the floor, and pull while wobbling the wheel
back and forth side to side.   When the veins stand out in your neck
like Ahnahld lifting a truck engine, the wheel usually comes off,
smacking you in the chin.

After a few times and a few bruises and cuss words I started using
the cute little home-made green puller I bought at a Fall NC Vair
show over a couple decades ago, specifically engineered for a 'Vair
steering wheel.   I never was smart enough to consider leaving the
nut partly threaded onto the column shaft to keep the wheel from flying off.

Anyone remember who was making those green homebrew tool
things?    He had several, also other home-made specialty tools for
Vairs, all painted green.   Think I also (another time) bought ( also
green ) a fan bearing greasing tool from him.   I think it was him,
still got the puller and the greaser.

tony..

PS:   the dumb brute force method seldom works on junkyard steering
wheels with years of rust and no floors left upon which to plant my feet