<VV> Vert power top mechanism repair

Rick Norris ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Sun Feb 28 19:53:41 EST 2010

This week end I dove in to a project on my 67 convertible. I rehabbed both power top quadrant gear mechanisms. This was new territory for me but, it went okay. The previous owner/owners had stripped several adjustment bolts in both units and one was cracked at an attachment point.
Actually, what prompted me to do this job was the passenger side gear was not working. Back when I first bought my vert I removed the interior to see what condition the floors were in. To my surprise, very good. Then I found a small threaded nylon part in the drain under the passenger side gear. I had no idea what it was so, I took a pic and asked the forum if anybody could identify it. No one did. I now know what it was. It held the worm gear shaft in place for the quadrant gear. I guess it had backed out but I suspect the PO was messing with it because they are staked in after assembly and final adjustment.

Tonight I finished the job using the best parts from five different units. Now it all works as it should. As usual I took photos so, I may do an article or at least I'll post them on my Webshots site.

Rick Norris
#36 Sunoco Corvair
www.corvairalley.com