<VV> Hydraulic Press

Robert K. Henry robertkhenry at bellsouth.net
Sun May 2 18:46:54 EDT 2010

When I bought my hydraulic press (not from HF but another cheap mail-order
importer who shall remain unnamed--starts with 'W') I ended up discovering
that the shipping from California (POE from China) was much more than I'd
been led to expect. I ended up spending more on freight than on the tool.
Then I discovered that the hydraulic bottle jack that forms the heart of the
tool was leaking internally. I tried putting more fluid in it, but I
couldn't pump the handle fast enough to overcome the tool's return springs,
much less apply force. I bought a new bottle jack at Advance Auto Parts to
replace the bad one that came with the tool and that solved that problem.
With those unforeseen expenses taken care of, the tool has proven quite
handy for a lot of Corvair and non-Corvair work. I originally bought it to
help me set up a replacement ring and pinion in the axle but it's useful for
a lot of other things as well.

I might have gotten the mail-order retailer to fix it but I figured they'd
want me to ship it back. Besides, I wanted to get on with the project.

If I had it to do over, I wonder if buying from a local dealer might be a
better bargain.

Robert Henry
'65 Corsa Turbo convertible
Knoxville, TN