<VV> QUALITY voltage regulator?

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Sun May 2 21:50:31 EDT 2010

Les, there is no need to replace that 18 volt regulator. You can adjust the
regulator. Take the cover off, and check the points. There are two sets, one
closes and stays closed which turns off the light (closing this circuit
provides equal voltage actoss the bulb and the light goes off). If the upper
contacts aren't already burnt (you can file them smooth with a point file)
adjust the arm that the spring is attached to, just push it in a bit so
there is less tension. The spring is keeping the points closed too tight
which runs current thru the coil until coil force equals spring force and
the points open which is at whatever voltage the spring sets. The contacts
move between the upper and lower points to keep voltage in range under
different loads.

Adjust the spring tension to about .25 volts higher than measured battery
voltage. Any more, .5 volts might be OK, and you will cook the battery, or
it will gas profusely and stink up the car and cause higher corrosion
problems in the engine bay.

As long as the voltage is just above voltage of a fully charged battery, it
will charge it and keep it charged. When you turn on accessories, lights,
etc, it lowers voltage in the system, the points close and brings the
voltage back up to the preset setting, which provides the current to run the
lights and accessories.

I just placed a flat blade screwdriver where the spring attaches and pushed
in gently until I felt it bend slightly, rechecked the voltage, and adjusted
until it was right.

Mark Durham