<VV> Broken Crank!

David O'Neal dnoneal at bellsouth.net
Mon May 3 11:50:35 EDT 2010

Sorry for the lack of the vital details.

This is a '65 Coupe 110 PG with a harmonic damper!  I think the mileage is
fairly low, <120k (speedo broke at 74k).  When I removed the engine I could
tell it has been removed before.  The car sat for 10+ years in a driveway
before I got it - but it turned over easily and I carefully lubed it up,
tuned it up, and cleaned it out (gas tank, carbs, etc.) before cranking it.
I expected to find something internal, such as a dropped valve seat, but the
only thing I found was a dead coil and very old wires, etc.  I fixed the oil
leaks, reworked the brakes and it ran very good until this happened.  Total
mileage I put on it is <500miles.  It did a tiny bit of visible smoke at
start up but you can see the blow-by carbon inside the block (don't know if
this amount is normal)- it probably got a re-ring job in the past.

David O'Neal