<VV> Fake '61 Monza Convert

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Mon May 3 17:46:02 EDT 2010

Bill,

Yes, it would be a nice thing to give someone the benefit of the doubt.  I
have no problem with someone creating a Frankenstein car if he or she likes
the look of that combination of parts or if those parts are all that is
available to complete the car.  However, in this case, there are two things that
bother me.  First, the VIN plate seems like a very poor attempt to re-VIN a
car.  That is a crime in every state I know of.  I stated in my previous
post that the "screwy" VIN plate may have been inherited from a PO.  However,
what makes me most suspicious is that the seller came up with an outlandish
line of BS to try to explain how he could be selling a 1961 convertible when
he obviously knows none were manufactured.  He even goes so far as to tout
it as a very rare car.  On that point, he is correct.  I believe that this
is the first of these that I have ever seen.

I suppose there is a remote possibility that he might have been fed the "50
super secret convertible cars" line of BS by a previous owner but he
probably knows that he was suckered at this point and is probably trying to pass
his foolishness on to someone else.  This is more than just "blathering."  In
any case, criminal intent or not, he should be prevented from passing this
car off as anything other than a running parts car.  I fail to see how this
car having good floors excuses any of this.

An experienced Corvair owner or an experienced car buyer in general will
check things out in enough depth to know this car is just wrong.  The person
who gets suckered into buying this car is likely to be a first time buyer.
They might have an Old Cars Price Guide but just might be convinced by the
"50 cars .... " BS that they have a real find on their hands.  How would you
feel if your first Corvair was a car that you couldn't title and drive
legally?  I imagine you might be turned off to collector cars in general and
Corvairs specifically.  The person who buys this car will probably not become a
CORSA member.  Of course, I could be wrong.  After all, association with
CORSA members might be a good way to sell the parts from this parts car.

Being a bit cynical of this particular auction, I predict that this guy
will either ignore the questions from you and others or come back with more BS.

Just my perspective.

Doc
In a message dated 5/3/2010 1:47:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time,