<VV> Broken Crank!

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Tue May 4 15:18:01 EDT 2010

 Kind of a loosy goosy question, but GM claims that nitriding increases surface fatigue resistance (where cracks start) by something like 5 times that of an unnitrided crank, if memory serves me. And yes, a regrind removes it, but only at the journals. The question is, where do these cracks originate? I don't believe that balancing hole was the starting point, it simply was in the path.

So, yes, it helps. On the other hand, ANYTHING one can do to reduce crank flex, like a GOOD harmonic damper, a case where the mains are KNOWN to be in line, etc., will only do good things in this direction.

John Roberts