<VV> Spitting Distance & SCG Data

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Tue May 4 23:08:45 EDT 2010

Mark:  Just to clarify something.  On a calm day, what is your maximum
spitting distance?  Some of us may need to know how far away from you we
need to stand next month.

You said: "As it stands now, they (past Concurs Chairmen) have no status
with CORSA, other that "here's your hat, what's your hurry?"

I find this to be a false statement. I've been around CORSA about 5 yrs less
than you, and have held a couple "official" positions.  I have all the
status I want with those who have or now hold those official positions I
once held.  My involvement at whatever level I choose to contribute as past
"official person" has always been well received.  If you are not involved
with something you passionately care about, who's fault is that?  Yours or
theirs?  You probably say theirs, because they did nor recognize you as a
Subject Matter Expert who should be consulted.

Would you be satisfied if CORSA gave you a tee shirt with all you past
official positions, including past CORSA president, stenciled on it?  Or
would you prefer embroidery?  Or magic marker?  Oh Wait!  How many lines
would that take?  Two?  Three?  Would that satisfy your apparent need for
"status" with CORSA?

And your "here's your hat, what's your hurry?" is nothing but a cheap shot,
totally undeserved.  Totally not true in my experience.  Phony as a US$3
bill.

Your proposal to give past Concurs Chairmen's veto power over any rule
changes the current Concurs Committee via the Chairman proposes is
ridiculous.  If you really think it is valid and required, I expect you will
just advocate and write a blanket amendment to the CORSA By-laws making this
requirement applicable to all committees and their Chairmen's.  Thus, if
Warren wanted to make any change to any of the 5 or 6 documents he is
responsible for as Competition Committee Chairmen, he would have to get the
permission of Scotty, Ken, myself, Steve, Seth and Bob before he could
propose something from the BoD to vote on.  Is that what you really want?
How many past Concur Chairmen are there?  How many other past Committee
Chairmen are their?  Is that what you really want for the rest of us?

On a different subject, I've messed - and messed up - enough data to easily
forgive anybody who does an Oops!  Including Harry.  He is human, like
yourself Bill, and screws up, like yourself, at times.  But, given the
likely hood of an Oops! with any data base, SCG's failure to have a back up
of their data is their own fault.  SCG made the first mistake: no back-up.
I'm sorry they didn't have enough computer smarts or discipline to back up
their own data.  SCG can blame whomever they want to blame, but there is not
excuse for stupid.  Blaming others for your own original failure is nothing
more than miss-direction.  Direct the blame where it belongs: the past or
present leadership of the SCG.

I believe in redundant duplication of everything and anything I've done or
been responsible for for any organization.  SCG should go and do likewise.

As a minor technicality, I disagree with the following: "You all need to
remember that Harry is a PAID employee of CORSA. You and I pay his salary.
We pay him to help us; not to erase things and then shift blame."  While I
have never seen the check stubs from CORSA or Harry's W-2, I'm of the
opinion we do not pay Harry's salary.  We pay M&P, co-owned by Harry & Mike.
That business pays them.  They could be sub-contracting the work off shore
if they so wanted to and could find someone else crazy enough to do the
work.

Historically Yours,
                   James Rice
                   CORSA member since mid-70's
                   Former Chairman of the Competition Committee
                   Member of original CPF Advisorary Committee
                   CORSA/CPF BoD member and CPF Liaison 1999-01
                   Occasional contributor to the Communique

PS:  By the way, Mark, I wrote all the first documents for the Competition
Committee when I assumed the position in 1979: job description, racing fund
and 3 sets of moving car rules.  And did the first organized Yenko Stinger
Registry.  Plus I participated in the writing of the original P&P manual
under the late Fred Johnson's direction.  And I was heavely involved with
the CPF Bylaws review last year.  So I'll put my CORSA document writing
resume up against yours any time.

PSS: And if my allergies are working in Cedar Rapids, I can probably spit
further than you.  Assuming, of course, you don't have fully functional
allergies at the time.  We can go to a pig farm, stand at the fence and the
first on who makes a pig squeal wins.