<VV> Concours-

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Tue May 4 23:51:44 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

As you know, I own a factory-stock restored Corvair. Took a lot of time and
money to do that. I also own a highly-modified coupe. I love them both for
different reasons.

Words do matter. Words can hurt. I am perhaps not as put off as Bill and
Mark are by the class wording change, and I in some ways gave up my right to
complain when I bowed out of the concours committee some months ago. So
rather than complain, I will offer the four definitions of "improved" from
www.websters.com and an observation:

1. to bring into a more desirable or excellent condition: He took vitamins
to improve his health.
2. to make (land) more useful, profitable, or valuable by enclosure,
cultivation, etc.
3. to increase the value of (real property) by betterments, as the
construction of buildings and sewers.
4. to make good use of; turn to account: He improved the stopover by seeing
a client with offices there.

I do think it's worth considering what these definitions are saying. It
appears to me that a comparison is built into the use of the word
"improved", and if two things are compared, one is going to be judged
superior. That leaves the other camp not feeling great.

--Kent