<VV> Concours- off the mark

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Wed May 5 10:09:44 EDT 2010

To attempt to explain it to you, regardless of how YOU, as an individual,
feel about semantics, YES is DOES matter to some people. The power of a
word is incredible. Just look at any kind of negotiations or definitions -
be they in making political treaties, management/labor contracts, legal
court cases, you name it. Even the authors of the Declaration of
Independence carefully scrutinized the document for just the proper
wording. One single wrong word could make all the difference in the world.
So YES the proper words DO matter.

If you can grasp that fact, then let me explain about the difference
between the words "modified" and "improved". As Kent Sullivan pointed out
by defining the word "improved", that word by definition implies that
something is less than desirable, and therefore needs improvement. With
some people, a stock Corvair needs NO improvements. It's perfect as-is.
Therefore, to term another class as "improved" really IS a slap in the face
to a stock Corvair owner. It implies that his stock Corvair is therefore
inferior and in need of "improvements". Regardless of how YOU as and
individual sees it, THAT is how some other people see it.

Also, for sake of historical reference, the ORIGINAL name of that class was
"Modified", a term that has withstood the test of some 35 years of usage,
without any complaints. After all, modified means "changed from its
original condition" and therefore is highly descriptive of that class.

Why was it changed? THAT is the question! Certainly there was no huge
outcry for the change. What we have here is a situation that was created by
an uncalled for change, and one that has the potential to cause (and in
fact IS causing) a lot of hurt feelings in some people. It's so
unnecessary. We're supposed to be supportive of ALL Corvair people, and we
shouldn't intentially degrade anyone's interests, no matter how few they
are in numbers. This change HAS degraded a segment of the Corvair world,
and that is the problem. It is this change that is polarizing people.

BTW, I dispute your statement that there were no improvements in '67 and
'69. The '67's introduced many things, mostly related to safety. Such
things as the dual master brake cylinder and energy absorbing steering
column, that were carried on thru later years. And the '69's introduced an
improved clutch cable and lever, along with some other minor and arguable
"improved" changes.

-Mark