<VV> Engine Starting Problem

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Fri May 7 10:55:33 EDT 2010

Thought I'd throw this out for some feedback.

I hadn't started my Greenbrier for some time (it wouldn't start) and I was
about convinced I had bad gas, dirty carbs or some other fuel related
problem--the ignition is good with fresh wires, plugs, points and condenser and
a good coil and distributer.  It fires right up if I use a quick squirt of
starting fluid (which I really don't like doing).  I had planned  to hook
up a marine gas tank tomorrow (Sat) to confirm my hypothesis before  draining
the tank, but last night I decided to shift it to keep the neighbors on
speaking terms and I went out to crank it a few feet forward.  I forgot to
engage the clutch at first and when I cranked it it fired up immediately
(after  sitting for weeks) and then died after about half a minute and wouldn't
restart.  So maybe it isn't the fuel.  I've been doing my own tuneups  for
over 40 years and this suprised me.

Any thoughts on something other than sour fuel?

Bob Hall
Group