<VV> Terminology thoughts (little Corvair)

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Sat May 8 20:41:03 EDT 2010

Back in the days of the Corvair, Chevrolet Marketing called their 4door
hardtop a "sport sedan" even though it was a misnomer. There wasn't
anything "sedan" about them. "Sedan" doesn't designate the number of doors,
as you can just as easily have a 2door sedan as a 4door sedan. Therefore
Marketing created it's own term, which may be acceptable in marketing. But
if one leaves off the "sport" and merely says "sedan", then by definition
they are using a totally different meaning word.

Some people may wonder why so often I mention the necessity of using
correct terminology. The reason is simple. A person is judged by how
proficient he is in his speaking ability. If someone speaks like a country
bumpkin who just fell off the turnup truck last week, they are considered
accordingly. But if that bumpkin is intellegent, he can be educated. Then
he'll be able to speak in an intellegent and educated manner, and people
will have a much higher regard for him. Part of that is the usage of
correct terminology. The wise person takes pride in his ability to speak
proficiently, using as much correct terminology as his education has given
him. In fact, he'll even strive to find out and use as much correct
terminology as possible.

The difference between ignorance and stupidity is that ignorance is the
lack of knowledge, while stupidity is the failure to use that knowledge.
Thus when someone calls a terminal block a "thingy" or a late model Corvair
4door a "sedan", he is by definition either ignorant or stupid. Ignorant if
he doesn't know the proper terminology, and that's forgivable. But he is
being stupid if he does know but persists in using incorrect words
nontheless.

I am surprised when someone does so, as that person is willfully displaying
stupidity. What amazes me even more so is that some people seem to delight
in showing off their stupidity, like it's cute or funny or some kind of
badge of honor. It makes me think that that person doesn't respect
themselves enough to speak in correct language, and would rather be thought
of as stupid. So if they don't respect themselves, how can they expect me
to respect them?

If some people are offended by this, then they really need to look in the
mirror and ask why they don't respect that person looking back at them.

All of this is just how I see things. Just my opinion. At least you'll know
why I mention terminology from time to time.

-Mark