<VV> How's this for dumb?

Brian bmoneill at juno.com
Sun May 9 10:02:08 EDT 2010

Corvair flywheels are bolted to the crank.  On my track car, the hub on the crank is welded on and the holes enlarged for larger bolts.  The retaining ring holes have also been enlarged.  So it's a simple matter of bolting it all together and making sure the torque is correct.  Wait!  Did I mention the retaining ring?  Well as we all know it goes on after the flywheel is positioned on the crankk, right?  Well not if you are in what we used to call it in the Army--rectal defilade.  The you put the ring on first then the flywheel. This has the advantage of spacing out the flywheel and pressure plate by the thickness of the ring.  This in turn lets your starter gear bang against the ring on the pressure plate.  The end result is you get to tear down the engine twice; fight with your wife because you are mad as hell; miss Summit Point and in general have a really great time.