<VV> Corvairs

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Mon May 10 10:47:37 EDT 2010

 In my EVER so humble opinion (and you ALL know how humble I truly am!), here's what I see as the list of issues with Corvair valve seats. Obviously, people like Warren have their own ideas, and their solutions do work, so, here goes...

1. Insufficient cooling. Obviously, since aluminum has a much higher CTE than steel, the hotter things get, the looser the fit.
2. Seats aren't deep/wide enough. The more deeply seated, and the thicker the cross section, not only do you get a tighter fit, but the temperature mismatch between the seat and the head will be smaller.
3. Seats not made of the best stuff. There are manganese steels and aluminum bronzes which a far closer to the CTE of aluminum than the OE seat material.
4. Seats not well retained. Now this one is open as to the best way to do this. But a step machined on the OD of the top of the seat allows the head material to be staked well into the seat. Or threaded seats. Or setscrews (not my fave). Or if someone had a huge budget, electron beam welding of the seats into place. Yes, you CAN weld steel to aluminum by this method. There are also brazing alloys suitable for this as well. Or some other method I haven't thought of yet...
5. Engine not properly tuned/syncronized. Detonation, one side running hotter than the other, too much retard, et al, all can exacerbate the problem.
6. Valve train not properly set up. When the valves clatter like hell, it's a sign that the valves are slamming into the seat, as compared to landing gently, as designed. This will hammer the seats loose more than one might think!

Now, as far as what to do about this, my best idea is to pull the seats, weld 'em up, and put in nice deep ones. Also, make sure the guides are in good shape.

So, there's my start on this thread!!

John Roberts