<VV> Fan belt

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun May 16 12:33:46 EDT 2010

At 08:13 AM 5/15/2010, Jim Gammon wrote:
>Hi all
>
>Dumb question #126
>
>I need to replace a fan belt. Must I jack the engine up to get the
>belt past the oil filter casting?
>
>Use the starter to get the belt past the mount?
>
>I have a 63 spyder.

The correct belt ( 3/8" by 56" ) should slip onto the pulleys with NO
trouble.  You may not have the right belt.

Now:   Are you talking about clearance issues between the filter
mount casting and the rear unibody box-frame?   It's worth
remembering that Corvairs use adjustable rear suspensions... not only
do they require front end alignment, they also require REAR wheel
alignment as well.   This is done ( on early models ) with shims on
the gearbox mount bracket which moves the entire driveline forward or
backward to set toe adjustment.

It might be that your car needs a tow-out adjustment.   Too much rear
wheel toe-in could leave the oil filter cast housing really close to
the rear unibody frame box tube, if this is the issue you're having.

tony..