<VV> Canadian Winter Rally story

Rich Carroll rc at palos.net
Mon May 17 16:21:53 EDT 2010

On 05/17/2010 10:40 AM, Bill Elliott wrote:
> Rich ran (a Volvo) in 1968... against Paddy Hopkirk in a Mini (who was
> technically disqualified when he added a separate radiator up from to
> stop his overheating!)
>
> Very cool site:  http://www.shell-4000-rally.org/
>
> Bill
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "peter koehler"
> <pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net>

I ran the Shell 4000 Rally in 1968, 4200 miles starting in Calgary and
finishing in Halifax, Nova Scotia.  Yes, Paddy was disqualified after
adding a second radiator, but it took the FIA rules committee a day to
find a way to call it an infraction.  In the rule book, you must run
exactly what the car was equipped with, and the Mini team interpreted
the rules that allowed adding extra lighting and other rally equipment
to include changing the four additional driving lights to three
additional driving lights and an extra radiator for better cooling.  The
official FIA rules did not specifically say you couldn't add a second
radiator.  After further review, the FIA tech inspector found you
couldn't modify the RADIATOR HOSES to add the 'Y' fittings to plumb in a
second radiator, and technically the car was excluded for modified
radiator hoses.  I had Volvo sponsorship $ for the 1968 event, and ran a
123GT.

I ran the Canadian International Winter Rally from 1969-1973 or so.  It
ran from Toronto to Ottawa and back on two successive nights, always the
second weekend in February.  We ran for the Volvo, Chrysler, VW, and
Jeep teams.  Winter rallys were unusually brutal on equipment.  All
tertiary roads in Ontario are packed snow, not plowed.  You only saw
road surface on highways.  On the tertiary roads, you would come to an
area where there was a frost heave every 150 feet or so, where the frost
had pushed up into almost like a curb running across the road at regular
intervals.  Add to that the streams that run underground, pop out of the
ground, run for a few hundred yards, (frequently cross a road) and again
disappear underground.  These warm water streams flow all year,
including at 40 below.  (And you don't have to ask if that is C or F!)
You would drive along, see a stream, crash into it (it's surface was the
road surface, some 12-18 inches lower than the packed snow) crash into
the opposite bank, and emerge with a blanket of water (immediately
becoming ice) all over the car.  Go through three streams, and your car
had gained several hundred pounds, was top heavy, handled poorly, and
you couldn't open doors, etc. And the rear engined cars had to use lots
of wheel bearing grease smeared in the front wheel wells, otherwise your
wheels would only cut slots in the freezing water, and you could not
steer at all.

The Corvair was a natural at the Canadian International Winter rally,
but as I remember the '62 and '62 were the winning years for Corvairs.
These were very close to stock cars, some of the cars picked from the
dealer showrooms a day before the event.

Rich Carroll