<VV> Secret VIN

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Tue May 18 19:33:06 EDT 2010

> I'm trying to find the secret VIN on my Michigan-built 65
> convertible.  I know it is in the right front wheel
> well.  I thought it was on the "frame" section behind
> the axle, facing out.  It doesn't seem to be.
>
> What exactly am I looking for, the entire VIN or just the
> last six?  How big are the stampings?  And can it
> be seen through the paint, or does it have to be bare
> metal?  And most importantly, where exactly should I be
> looking?  Is it the same on every car?
Smitty Says;  Mark when you find it please post your findings.  On all Earlies I have ever heard of it is on the outboard side of the left (drivers) frame rail which is covered by the inner wall of the spring tower when the axle is installed.  I have heard that some 65s had them in the same location.  All others I have heard of are located in the same position on the right side.  Covered by the inner wall of the spring tower.  I believe I read once on VV that someone found one on the bottom of the right rail covered by the axle.  The stamping on ones I have seen is made of stamps from different sets but generally a little less than 1/4 inch.  Please post your findings as this is a subject that interests more than just me.