<VV> Earl Scheib WAS 1966 colors (green) No Corvair

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Wed May 19 07:25:05 EDT 2010

Ah, Yes!  Earl Scheib (sp?) ... I will paint any car any color for $29.95!  And so they did, unless you took the occasional $19.95 special!  Earl had his own special 'Diamond Gloss' paint.  Quite an unusual material.  Each car got two coats applied at over 100 psi so it went on in tiny dots which just speckled the car then flowed together into a single coat.  A large roof panel took only 3 passes with the gun.  The finish flowing of the paint took place in an 'infrared' booth.  One gun cup of paint did a whole car ... any more and the paint would run and sag.  The 'any' color part was limited to their factory packed materials and did not match factory stock colors.

I worked there as the painter for a week, filling in for a friend who went on vacation.  I painted 28 cars in one day during that low price special offer.  They offered me a permanent position, the pay was good but the shop was just too far from my house.
Ken P

"John Kepler" <jekepler at amplex.net> wrote:

The color appears to be Tropic Turqoise Metallic - a 1966 Chevrolet color
but NOT a Corvair color

Robby

Is everyone here too young to remember Earl Scheib "In by 9 out by 5"?  Earl
painted a lot of "Any car, any color for $29.95".....and the colors were
Earl thought was close!

John