<VV> Secret VIN again

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Wed May 19 10:16:35 EDT 2010

To my knowledge, the secret VIN is put on when the body is built, though
that may not be the case with the Corvair. Remember that the '69 body that
was shipped to a Texas museum doesn't have a VIN, but is a complete Fisher
Body built assembly.

The Corvair's secret VIN is stamped (at least supposed to be on LM's) on
TWO surfaces, the side and the bottom of the right hand frame rail. It IS
sometimes visable without removing the crossmember. Just check #5999's
number when you see it at this year's convention. It's how I verified it's
numbers when I had it.

On one occasion I was sent on company business to the Doraville GA plant
that assembled the steel-body U-van (TransSport, Venture, etc.) I saw the
whole process. They etched the secret VIN on the radiator support frame,
which was welded in before the body was even painted. Later on and much
farther down the line, the dash VIN was attached during the interior
assembly process. The guy attaching them simply took each one in order off
a "printer" machine, and attached it to the next van in the assembly line.
The vehicle by that time DID have a paper broadcast sheet taped to the
front end, but the guy never had to bother double checking it, OR the
etched VIN. Somehow all the bodies remained in order from the secret VIN
etching process to the actual dash VIN attachment station.

Various vehicles have it in various locations. I saw a full-size van with
it on the frame rail below the passenger door. So you just have to know
where they put it on what vehicle.

-Mark

fraud or theft.  It's there for the assembly line guys so they know which
car they were working on.  Don't forget, Fisher body had an entire process
before the cars went to the Chevy side of the house, and the Chevy guys
needed to know what car they were getting.  They put it in a place
convenient for the line workers to see, so it's near the front on the
bottom of the car.